Everyone sees Richardson's greatness except for Mullen

509 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by RegGator
From the Swamp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The announcers on the game sound like they thinks Mullen is braindead if he doesn't start Richardson.

They must of forgot that Trask wouldn't have gotten a chance to play for us if Franks didn't get hurt. Mullen doesn't change quarterbacks.
Romeg8r
Mullen sees it. And he plans to go to it when the time is right but he needs Emory to be ready as well. You just saw Richardson pull up with a hamstring. What if he can't play Saturday?
Romeg8r
If healthy I think Richardson gets the lion's share of the snaps Saturday.
MountainGator
Richardson obviously brings more to the table than Jones. Unless, Richardson is hurt or Jones flips a switch and plays with much more urgency, I don't see how Richardson doesn't get the start on paper. Mullen however never has liked to admit he's wrong, so there is that hurdle. If Jones plays next Saturday like he played today, and gets the lion share of snaps, we lose by a large margin. The defense showed today they are not the strength of the team, which is not good. We need an healthy equalizer and his name is Richardson.
Go Gators TJ
I feel like we should trust Mullen on quarterbacks then I think back and remember he picked Franks over Trask.
Romeg8r
In fairness Mullen did replace Franks with Trask the year before and Trask immediately got injured with what I think was his third injury at Florida. Kind of hard to put your chips on Trask hoping he could stay healthy.
JayM
MountainGator said:

Richardson obviously brings more to the table than Jones. Unless, Richardson is hurt or Jones flips a switch and plays with much more urgency, I don't see how Richardson doesn't get the start on paper. Mullen however never has liked to admit he's wrong, so there is that hurdle. If Jones plays next Saturday like he played today, and gets the lion share of snaps, we lose by a large margin. The defense showed today they are not the strength of the team, which is not good. We need an healthy equalizer and his name is Richardson.
I disagree with this. I think our defense is the strength of the team and will give Alabama some resistance.

We used a bunch of young guys on defense in the first two games some of whom will not even dress for Alabama with lower player limit in SEC games. Alabama won't see a better front 7 unless they play Georgia.

The key for Saturday is our ability to run the ball. If we can run the ball and keep possession, keep their offense off the field and our defense resting as much as possible, we have a shot with our home crowd regardless of QB.

It would be devastating to EJ to just yank him after a few bad series. He is a good Gator and we should trust Mullen to get the most out of him and AR.

Hell, I wouldn't put it past Mullen to just come out and play option football and run all over them! That would be cool.
Comountaingator
Has anyone considered that if Mullen started AR, EJ would head for the portal and we'd be stuck with freshman backups? Keeping EJ starting but playing AR more each week might be a good strategy.
cyclogator
You play your best players. Period. That is how you win. Mullen is doing this to himself. He built this image of himself as a QB guru who develops QBs in this long drawn out maturation process. Do you guys think AR just got this good over the last few weeks? Im now wondering why AR wasn't getting a lot of work last year behind Trask along with the whole why the heck was Franks playing in front of Trask 2 years ago.

Dan Mullen has talked and coached himself into a corner. His image goes down the tubes if he plays AR over EJ. Mullen basically trashed AR in the pressers so he could build up EJ. "On the plays EJ threw the interceptions, he did a great job of setting his protection and looking down his primary target while AR did the exact opposite on those TD throws." Its mind boggling and frustrating the way Mullen is handling it and you have to believe it is putting pressure on EJ and probably p!$$ing off AR. Recruits see it happening as well and are basically seeing that you will have to wait your turn to play even if you are better than the guy in front of you.
RegGator
I think it's a good idea not to name Richardson the starter. That might be too much pressure for a freshman. Jones can get the start but we have to use Richardson more than we have been.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.