Media Availability: Dan Mullen and Select Players

747 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by @PanhandleG8R
camparker25
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Coming up at 1 p.m., Dan Mullen and select players will be available to the media.

camparker25
Mullen is here. Starting now
camparker25
Dan Mullen is most eager to just watch the team play.

The big focus is simply winning the game and using what they learned and put together in practice and applying it to their opponent.
camparker25
"Last year was very unique and guys had to motivate themselves. The motivating factor is there, but the extra energy is there."

The return to a full capacity compared to last year's situation will bring a lot of energy to the team.
camparker25
On Kamar Wilcoxson: Dealing with a knee issue, listed as doubtful for Saturday

On Avery Helm being named the starting corner opposite of Elam on today's depth chart: That is just the depth chart for today, could be different on Saturday. Overall, he has a lot of talent and has learned a lot in his time in Gainesville and has earned this opportunity.
camparker25
"I don't know if I've ever had two that similar": On Emory Jones and Anthony Richardson. With Mullen's success with quarterbacks and both working with him, everyone is very comfortable going forward
camparker25
On new grad-transfer Tyrone Truesdell (DT): "Being a veteran guy who's started in the league he will adapt quickly."

Part of bringing him in was looking at the depth chart, seeing injuries, etc.

Jaelen Lee is questionable, Newkirk is good to go after dealing with injuries
camparker25
"Every situation is different and unique. There is value using two on the field. Guys are one snap away from being the guy. We are a quarterback-based offense."

Mullen has been big on getting Emory Jones playing time over the last two seasons to get experience and be ready. Expect the same with Richardson.
camparker25
On containing FAU QB N'Kosi Perry: "He's got good size. He's a really good passer. You have to be aware of his athletic ability and his ability to work outside of the play."
camparker25
"He knows he has the ability that if he sees something that he likes he can check the play and take what he sees."

With experience and talent, Mullen trusts Jones to make checks and calls at the line if he sees something he likes.
camparker25
Mullen's first impression of the Swamp in 2005: "I thought it was really cool. (The Tennessee game) was the first time you could really feel the energy of the fans. I do remember feeling the noise and how crazy it was."
camparker25
Continued: "One thing is how close the fans are to the field is what makes the Swamp intimidating"
camparker25
On the running back rotation: Coach Knox rolls the running back's through, but they do have packages for certain players.

On Bowman and Lingard: "It will be good to get them experience."
camparker25
On the kicker competition: "It's Monday. I have until Saturday at 7:30 to figure that out."

On Avery Helm as the returner: "He's done a good job. We'll see."

"I don't really look at the depth charts. I know the game plan for Saturday, though."
camparker25
On rotating the offensive line around: Having the five most talent is not necessarily most important. It is about getting five guys who do certain things best.

About balancing run and pass: "I would like to be 50/50."
camparker25
"He has so many different ways that he can make explosive ways that you can live with certain things."

Overall, Emory Jones has improved his consistency, but as the coach, you have to be patient. Jones has the freedom to make plays, but Mullen wants him to stay within the plays sometimes.

That concludes Mullen's part. Players up next.
camparker25
Avery Helm up first
camparker25
On being named starter: "I just applied what I did in the offseason and worked hard. I'm ready for it."
camparker25
On what Gator corner stood out to him the most: "I used to always watch Vernon Hargreaves."
camparker25
On having a full crowd: "I really don't know what to expect. I'm ready to soak it all in."

Took an official visit while being recruited, but being in the stands is different from being on the field.

On Kaiir Elam: "He's a professional."
camparker25
Helm reportedly ran a 4.3 40 and has a 40 inch vertical.
camparker25
That concludes Avery Helm. Watch out for him on Saturday has he makes his first career start at corner.
camparker25
Up next is Trey Dean.
camparker25
On having fans back in the Swamp: "There's no place like the Swamp when it is at full capacity. We're excited."

On playing for the injured DB's: "We're DBU for a reason. We're going to wear it on our shoulders."
camparker25
Dean on preparing for FAU: "We prepare for every team the same. Whether it is FAU or Alabama. We're going to play to the Gator standard."
camparker25
On recruiting Rashad Torrence, who Dean knew before UF: "I wanted him real bad. I told him, 'There is nothing like the Swamp. If you want to be the best, you got to go with the best.'"
camparker25
On next-man up mentality in the DB group (specifically Helm): "Every DB recruited at UF is special. I have no doubt in my mind that my backup, Kaiir's backup, if we went down they would do the same things we do."
camparker25
On the difference of preparing for FAU vs. preparing for Bama: "Just because they are #1 doesn't mean we aren't going to prepare any different. We're going to play up to the Gator standard."
camparker25
On Todd Grantham: "He is the best defensive coordinator in the country."

That concludes the press conference.
Verobeachgator
camparker25 said:

On Avery Helm being named the starting corner opposite of Elam on today's depth chart: That is just the depth chart for today, could be different on Saturday. Overall, he has a lot of talent and has learned a lot in his time in Gainesville and has earned this opportunity.
WIlcoxson said he is having surgery so I think that makes him more than doubtful for FAU.

Why does he try to talk around stuff like that when it is already out there that Wilcoxson hurt his knee and won't be playing this year?
JayM
Verobeachgator said:

camparker25 said:

WIlcoxson said he is having surgery so I think that makes him more than doubtful for FAU.

Why does he try to talk around stuff like that when it is already out there that Wilcoxson hurt his knee and won't be playing this year?
Seems like you are looking for stuff to ***** and moan about Mullen... What he said here is less than minor. Enjoy it man!
@PanhandleG8R
I heard he just has a meniscus tear. He will be back this year
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.