Anonymous Player Q&A III: Cleaning out the notebook

2,005 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by MariettaGator
Mark Wheeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Anonymous Player Q&A: A behind-the-scenes look at Florida Football

Part I
Part II
All 29 of our Anonymous Player Q&A sessions (some free)

In order to clear out my notes and get ready for a new batch of updates in the next week or so, here are some of the leftover Anonymous Player Observations that I didn't use in the two parts I ran last week.

* Overall off-season standouts: I'm not saying they are the best players on the team, but no matter what we are doing, before we start you know that Trey Dean and Justin Shorter are going to be two of the best finishers. They are the two best athletes I've seen since I've been here.

* On Summer B enrollees who have been standouts: The Summer B guys are just started getting into the groove of things so it's hard to answer who looks the best. They have all been hard workers and have a good attitude, which will help them in the future. I'll give you a side note - Marcus Burke is ridiculously fast.

* On who has wowed him: Justin Shorter is a beast. He grinds like no one I've ever seen. He truly wants to be great and always has a positive attitude. Everyone on the team respects him for his effort and drive to help us. He just wants to be the best. He has that killer mindset and will work for it. I've seen the same thing from Derek Wingo. Since workouts started in January he has been stepping into a bigger role and he knows he has to work for it.

* I would put up Ethan White as one of the players who have transformed the most. Fans couldn't believe how he looked when he lost all that weight, but wait until you see him. Now he has cut off a lot of unnecessary body fat and his endurance is way up.

* Gator fans should watch out for [Zach] Carter and Malik Davis. They are working like first-round draft picks. I can only hope that will translate onto the field for them because they are great teammates.

* On how often players eat Chick-Fil-A: I definitely get tired of Chick-Fil-A. It is so good, but a change feels nice.

* The hardest cardio workouts are running the stadium, running sprints (however long they may be), but the hardest workout is the famous Valentine's Day workout. That is cardio and strength training. Every muscle in your body is sore for four days and it feels like hell.

THE QUESTIONS BELOW WERE ASKED SPECIFICALLY ABOUT THE FRESHMEN PLAYERS

Some of the freshmen have looked good and could get some looks in games but the two biggest freshmen standouts have been Jason Marshall and Donovan [McMillon]. They are balls to the wall in every workout. They don't have a freshman mindset. They study the game. There's no way they don't get a lot of playing time.

* On players who needed to gain strength at their position: Kamar [Wilcoxson] and Avery [Helms] were two of the weaker players last year, but they took advantage of the spring and put on some good weight.

* I thought Jalen Lee had the best spring out of any of the young linemen. I think he will see a lot of playing time this year. Another young player I personally think is one of the most underrated players we have is Antwaun Powell.

* If I had to pick someone that no one talks about but might surprise, it would be Lamar Goods. He struggles with injuries but is one of the smartest players on defense. If you ask the offensive linemen they'll tell you he is sneaky good and can be hard to handle.

* I'm proud of the way Gerald Mincey has been coming around. When he first got here he had his head in the clouds and was just happy to be here, but wasn't serious enough or maybe didn't know how much work it takes to be a college player, but this year he has improved every day and Gerald will probably be the second string tackle this year.

* Demarkcus [Bowman] was hurt during the spring but when he did play he was electric. When you see him in workouts you can see why Clemson is so good. He is still a freshman and he looks a couple of years older going off of his development.

------
We would love for you to share the information by sharing the link, but please don't cut and paste our information elsewhere.
OrangeandBlue
If you do anymore these ask about the quarterbacks. None of these players ever talk about them besides saying Richardson is a good athlete.
Bd489
I want to know more about the rumors Mullen lost the team and Brian Johnson had to smooth things over due to the way the BLM March was handled. Or maybe we don't need to know the answer.
Mark Wheeler
Staff
Bd489 said:

I want to know more about the rumors Mullen lost the team and Brian Johnson had to smooth things over due to the way the BLM March was handled. Or maybe we don't need to know the answer.
I'd have to go back through them and look, but in one of them, they discuss some of the tensions and how they were going to skip a scrimmage in order to go to a rally but then ended up coming back and practicing later that night.
Bd489
Thanks! Didn't know if that would have shone a light on Johnson's departure or not as I can't imagine him going from interviewing for head coaching jobs to the same job in the nfl. Nfl is a huge step, but it was a drastic pivot to me.
MariettaGator
Great insight into what the players think. Why I subscribe.
MariettaGator
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.