Would you trade Mullen for Smart

647 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by Jungleluv
outofsight
How long do you want to ignore this user?

OrangeandBlue
Elliot and Kanell are the two FSU homers who started it.

The question should be would their fans gladly trade Norvell for Mullen.

The answer there is a resounding hell yes.

Lilgator
We're already having this argument on here.

I'll take Saban or Swinney over both of them combined.
SwampMagic
Yes I would.

Smart has already had the Bulldogs in the playoffs.
Jungleluv
SwampMagic said:

Yes I would.

Mullen has done a really good job, he's a really good coach. Every week this team seems to come in with a sound game plan.

I don't think Mullen can make the transition from really good to great. Recruiting is part of coaching. It's the one of the only flaws he has. I'm surprised because, being a Meyer disciple you'd figure he ate, drank, and crapped recruiting.
Bd489
Meyer wouldn't allow poor big game performances from his defensive coordinator either. I agree Mullen has made significant progress while here, but the killer instinct seems to be lacking and I agree how surprising it is coaching with Meyer for so long and knowing what it takes to be successful.
Pigator314
Pretty much every year Mullen exceeds expectations, and Smart fails to live up to expectations. Year 3 is typically a dip year for Florida coaches, and Florida wins the East and beats UGA in Mullen's dip year. Meyer didn't even beat UGA his third year. Lets see where the conversation is the week after the Florida-Georgia game this year.

I have looked up and down the roster, and I believe Florida's roster talent is solid everywhere except OL. Go position by position through the depth chart. We have players Alabama, Clemson, UGA, and Bama wanted in every position group on the roster with the exception of OL. If Mullen solves the offensive line recruiting problem, then I think he's in business.
Bd489
We won the east but went 8-4. That was mullens worst record at UF. We went from hoping to make the playoffs to that. A fun year but the end results matter.
cyclogator
Kirby Smart sucks.
Bulldog1987
I get so tired of these Mullen bashing threads. I don't want to hear you crying when y'all run him off and we end up with another Mac or even worse. Negative people must be so miserable in life. You can keep smart how many more titles does he have over Mullen? I'll wait.
Fun & Gun
Jungleluv said:

SwampMagic said:

Yes I would.

Mullen has done a really good job, he's a really good coach. Every week this team seems to come in with a sound game plan.

I don't think Mullen can make the transition from really good to great. Recruiting is part of coaching. It's the one of the only flaws he has. I'm surprised because, being a Meyer disciple you'd figure he ate, drank, and crapped recruiting.
The truth is hard to admit sometimes but this is how I feel.

Mullen is a great coach but his recruiting has to get better if we are going to be in the playoffs.

If they expand it to 12 teams we could get in but we are still going to have to beat someone like Alabama or Clemson to win it all and we don't recruit like they do.
JayM
**** the playoffs. I really don't give a damn about it and I wish we could turn back time and eliminate it altogether. It's been a terrible experiment.

We are so lucky to have Mullen here and whatever happens next is very, very, very likely to be a precipitous step down. Let's enjoy this while we can.

I think the folks complaining are the same folks that wanted to run him out of town when he was winning championships as our OC because the offense was boring and they didn't like QB dive plays.

Again, I'll trust Strickland to be the adult in the room and ignore these folks.

All of this fire Mullen and fire Grantham stuff is counterproductive to the team.

I'll take Mullen over Smart. Smart would not recruit better than Mullen if he were at UF. Historically, Georgia almost always (with very exceptions) out recruits Florida and we still beat them because we have a better culture sometimes. We have more fun. Georgia has major recruiting advantages just because of where they are and the lack of instate competition, and lower academic requirements. It's a joke really.

To Hell with Georgia!
cyclogator
my only reply...FIRE GRANTHAM!
Flavorgator39
Hit the nail on the head. Florida fans hold the title for worst fan base in America. And that's a shame because we have it better then 99% of the rest in terms of the athletic Dept. Dan is a damn good coach.
Bill Sikes
Flavorgator39 said:

Hit the nail on the head. Florida fans hold the title for worst fan base in America. And that's a shame because we have it better then 99% of the rest in terms of the athletic Dept. Dan is a damn good coach.

So I guess we're just making up whatever sounds good now.
I'm just a rando fan...
Jungleluv
Flavorgator39 said:

He's a really good coach. It's not out of bounds to want Mullen to recruit better, given the proximity to high profile players. It's not out of bounds to ask the head coach at the University of Florida to be a better recruiter.

The question should he be a better recruiter? I say him because he's the head coach, and everything falls on his shoulders.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.