Do you want to be an everything school or a football school?

741 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by From the Swamp
UFgator52-20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another poster said that us being an everything school takes away from us being a top football school.

Is that true?

How much does being good in all of these other schools hurt us in being great at football?
Romeg8r
I have very little regard for anyone who thinks we should make less effort in other sports because it might help football. What a loser mentality.
Ssweat
Romeg8r said:

I have very little regard for anyone who thinks we should make less effort in other sports because it might help football. What a loser mentality.
I don't think that's a loser mentality at all. Of course it's nice to win at other sports but when you are talking with your buddies do you really care about how many swimming and golf championships we have? No disrespect to those sports but Bama, UGA and Clemson get it. Football makes so much money it will actually help fund the other sports. There's a reason why basketball and baseball were cancelled during the pandemic but they made sure football was played. In the south football is king plain and simple.
Verobeachgator
Romeg8r said:

You mean a loser like Clemson?

We are ranked #5 in all sports trophy standings.

The only play off team up high is OSU at #12.

All the other teams that you always see in the playoffs are outside the top 20.

I rather win a title in football than in every other sport combined.
ChicagoGator
I only really care about Football and Men's Basketball. I loosely follow baseball, but I don't personally care that Florida is great in other non-revenue generating sports if it for some reason would take away from Football or Basketball being elite, which I don't they do.
GatorDMD
I want all of our sports to do great and win titles. Softball is playing for a SEC championship tomorrow. I hope they win, but I won't be in front of my TV on a Saturday to watch them and if they lose I won't let it bother me like it does when football loses.

I don't mind us spending money on these other sports as long as it doesn't take away what we spend on football.
Mark Wheeler
Staff
I myself don't pay much attention to sports outside of football and then to a lesser extent basketball. Not just because those are the two sports (along with recruiting) that have the biggest (by a wide margin) impact on my bottom line (and football and recruiting more than basketball), but because even if it isn't work-related, I don't enjoy watching those other sports.

I grew up a HUGE baseball fan. I would literally watch 150 (at a minimum) Braves games on TBS. When I was younger and had to be in bed, I would stay up and at least try to listen to the first inning on the radio if it was a 10:05 start on the west coast just to hear Murphy and Horner (hopefully) get an at bat. That doesn't translate to college baseball though. I have heard a few games in passing on the radio, but I don't know that I have ever actually watched a full game.

The same with soccer, softball, volleyball, etc...

However, if I have the SEC Network on and gymnastics is on, I will watch that simply because those young ladies amaze me as athletes. What they can do on the balance beam, bars, floor exercise, I find fascinating.

Having said all of that, I do think that there is value in Florida being able to say that they are a top-five sports program. There is value in promoting that UF has won 250 SEC titles - more than any other program.

To boot, like it or not, there are Title IX considerations in play as well.
GatorDMD
Football matters the most we have to invest the money to do great there in order to be good at these other sports that can't pay for themselves.
Titletown
I understand all the love for football but if you are a true Gator fan you want to see us win championships in all the sports that we compete in.
OrangeandBlue
We are an everything school and still top ten in football.

UFgator52-20
I'm not saying that I want to see us fail in all the other sports, I hope we win in everything.

I'm asking how much does it hurt our football program that we spend all this money on these other sports that aren't able to support themselves?

They're spending 7.5 million on something at the lacrosse stadium. Is that money that the lacross team has earned and they're paying for it themselves or is that money our football team earned and should go to football?
From the Swamp
Tennis won their 1st national championship.

Romeg8r
Here's a news flash. It ain't about you, it's about the athlete. I am thrilled every time our athletes excel in any sport. And I feel it is the university's responsibility to make every effort to give every athlete the best chance to succeed. I for one respect UF for not caring if some guy sucking down wings and beer at a sports bar only watches football.
GatorDMD
Romeg8r said:

Here's a news flash. It ain't about you, it's about the athlete. I am thrilled every time our athletes excel in any sport. And I feel it is the university's responsibility to make every effort to give every athlete the best chance to succeed. I for one respect UF for not caring if some guy sucking down wings and beer at a sports bar only watches football.
I am thrilled that we won a tennis title, and I hope we win more as you probably do too, but would you sacrifice football to win another tennis title?

Before they won last night if you asked 100 random Gators fans to name a tennis player, I bet 95 of them couldn't do it.

I looked up on the official site and to do it before corona virus I looked at the last home match in the 2019 season and 240 is the attendance at a 1,000 seat stadium. There were probably even less than 240.

We keep getting told how big time college athletics is a big business. They can't pay for their own upkeep with that kind of support. Why should the football team have to pay for them is my point.

From the Swamp
Another national championship.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.