I swear I don't have anything against Mullen

1,118 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by Lilgator
Lilgator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I only go on and on about other teams recruiting because I'm frustrated that we don't recruit better.

If we can't recruit better we won't be in the same world as the Clemsons, Alabamas and Ohio States.
Verobeachgator
Don't you think that Mullen already knows that? He brought in Brewster to help shore up S. Florida and added new blood to the recruiting staff.

I'm not saying we have to pump sunshine up each other's butt but beating a dead horse doesn't do any of us any good either.

Why not wait and see if we finish in the top ten this year. If we don't you can fire away but if we do then lay off of him.
Bd489
If winning the amount we have under Mullen hasn't yielded results yet we have no reason to believe it will. His classes that have finished better had players that were highly ranked that didn't qualify or transferred out before playing. While that happens to others, with Mullen it seemed to be his only way to bolster the class ranking. Going forward I expect rankings of 12-15 in recruiting and it sucks to think that way. He's shown us who he is as a recruiter.
Bill Sikes
Verobeachgator said:

Don't you think that Mullen already knows that? He brought in Brewster to help shore up S. Florida and added new blood to the recruiting staff.

I'm not saying we have to pump sunshine up each other's butt but beating a dead horse doesn't do any of us any good either.

Why not wait and see if we finish in the top ten this year. If we don't you can fire away but if we do then lay off of him.

Finishing in the top-10 has always been an arbitrary standard of success with no factual link to winning the SEC. It's top-5 classes and 5-star QBs that have ALWAYS led their teams to victory in Atlanta.
I'm just a rando fan...
JayM
Ranting of frustrated fans can't help recruiting. It can only hurt, if it has any impact at all. It's just selfish behavior.

We are not going to recruit with Georgia, Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State any time soon. We might have a big year every now and again and jump in the top 5 but it's not going to be sustained, regardless of who the coach is or who you want to blame for your disappointment.

That's just reality and it's a very good reality. Gator football is good sports and should be fun for the foreseeable future with Mullen and company in charge. We might win an SEC Championship once a decade and a national championship every 20 years or so and that's better than almost every other team in the country.

We just are not as committed to football success as the Alabamas and Clemsons of the world. Evidence of that is recruiting budget and have you seen the dump of a dorm our players live in? It's remarkable to me that we get the players we get..

By the way, these are good times for Gator football. Keep that in mind.
UFgator52-20
JayM said:

Ranting of frustrated fans can't help recruiting. It can only hurt, if it has any impact at all. It's just selfish behavior.

We are not going to recruit with Georgia, Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State any time soon. We might have a big year every now and again and jump in the top 5 but it's not going to be sustained, regardless of who the coach is or who you want to blame for your disappointment.

That's just reality and it's a very good reality. Gator football is good sports and should be fun for the foreseeable future with Mullen and company in charge. We might win an SEC Championship once a decade and a national championship every 20 years or so and that's better than almost every other team in the country.

We just are not as committed to football success as the Alabamas and Clemsons of the world. Evidence of that is recruiting budget and have you seen the dump of a dorm our players live in? It's remarkable to me that we get the players we get..

Man if you wrote that to make us all feel better you failed big time.

Good times are losing four games?
cyclogator
JayM said:

Flavorgator39
It's funny how everyone has there opinions of Mullen. 4 losses really put a damper on our season for sure. If I recall urbs and spurrier had 8 win seasons. But they're legends right? So what's the measuring stick for success here at UF? We all want to be bama, Clemson etc but why not be happy with the program we're building? I suppose we could fire Mullen. And get who? We're not getting day, saban, dabo etc. So who do you want? Champ and mcelwain were great recruiting coaches. Would that make you happy. Nothing screams success like 4-8 seasons with a top 5 recruiting class every year huh? And honestly, not one of us can do a better job so maybe just zip it up for a few years and see what happens. And on the topic of this post, man you do nothing but cry and post negativity. I don't care who you like and don't like. Your just a negative person. Go Gators
cyclogator
Flavorgator39 said:

It's funny how everyone has there opinions of Mullen. 4 losses really put a damper on our season for sure. If I recall urbs and spurrier had 8 win seasons. But they're legends right? So what's the measuring stick for success here at UF? We all want to be bama, Clemson etc but why not be happy with the program we're building? I suppose we could fire Mullen. And get who? We're not getting day, saban, dabo etc. So who do you want? Champ and mcelwain were great recruiting coaches. Would that make you happy. Nothing screams success like 4-8 seasons with a top 5 recruiting class every year huh? And honestly, not one of us can do a better job so maybe just zip it up for a few years and see what happens. And on the topic of this post, man you do nothing but cry and post negativity. I don't care who you like and don't like. Your just a negative person. Go Gators
Urbs a legend? I dunno, maybe, he kinda tarnished it on the way out but he probably qualifies since he got 2 rings. SOS, def a legend, heisman QB, natty ring and had us rolling. Urbs only 8 win season was when he checked out on us and let the aDdAziO show audition before quitting, err...retiring the first time. Well, second time if you count the whole thing he did when he quit for a night then Fooley talked him into staying another year. And Spurrier never had a 8 win season so not sure what you are trying to say there. It almost sounds as if you are saying Mullen is a legend because like Urbs and SoS (well, not like SoS because you was wrong) he also has an 8 win season. But that is just dumb so Im sure you didn't mean it that way.

Who do I want? Oh, I don't know...someone who will fire Grantham for being the crappiest DC in the conference. Or maybe someone who will not say stupid things in press conferences after getting his butt whooped. Honestly, I want Mullen but it seems that Mullen has peaked and we got all we gonna get from him. 10-15th ranked recruiting classes aint gonna cut it.

Are you serious with the whole Chump and McStain were great recruiters? Seriously? They sucked at recruiting. Mullen seems to take after Chump though in that regard by taking all the 200lb rush ends the same way Chump took all the DBs he could find regardless of team needs. We got no linebackers but you can't swing a dead cat with out hitting a rush end.

Why don't you just zip it because its been 3 years and there is plenty of experience to observe and conclude on. If you think things can magically fall in place in a few years then you obviously don't understand how it works. Nothing about how we have been recruiting supports that. We are on track, just like we have been, to be a 8-10 win a season team which directly coincides with are 10-15 ranked recruiting classes. And that isn't even really taking into account the fact that many key recruits in those 10-15 ranked recruiting classes never made it on campus. Lets not forget the east sucks and is pretty much a one team show as well.

And oh yeah...Todd Grantham.

But, it really doesn't matter. The only way Mullen is leaving is if he embarrasses us is if he says some more stupid stuff and leaves Strickyboy no choice. In my opinion, unless that happens, Mullen is good to go even though he is currently sitting on that ncaa show cause and letter or reprimand from Stricklin. Bottomline is that I really dont think Fuchs and Stricklin care too much about the football program as long as Mullen doesn't say more stupid stuff and keeps winning those 8-10 games a year. Peach Bowl champs! Cotton Bowl participants! Relentless Effort! Vacation time!!!!!!!

Go Gators!!!
Bd489
I laughed at "relentless effort!! Vacation time!!"
Flavorgator39
I actually agree with most of this. It might be the first logical response I've ever gotten to some of the remarks I make. Oh, and that whole chump comparison on the recruiting trail.
Mark Wheeler
Staff
Flavorgator39 said:

I actually agree with most of this. It might be the first logical response I've ever gotten to some of the remarks I make. Oh, and that whole chump comparison on the recruiting trail.

I would love to see where that came from. Muschamp's classes were ranked 11, 3, 3, and 9. There is no way that comes anywhere close to a 3.33 star ranking per prospect.

Mullen on the other hand has had classes ranked 14, 9, 9, and 12.

I would agree that Muschamp would load up on certain positions while ignoring others, but for that chart someone is playing with numbers to make the case that Mullen is a better recruiter than Muschamp by the numbers and that simply isn't the case.
cyclogator
Maybe it accounts for the portal players Mullen has landed.

I see Mullen and Chump as similar in production though going about it in opposite ways. Chump had some very good championship level defenses, yet, those offenses were horrendous. Mullen seems to be doing the exact opposite, yet, because Florida fans are so focused on offense he gets a bigger pass. We had a championship level offense last season...yet, 8-4, worst defense in our history. And even though it is a bit of an anomaly about how bad that defense was last season it still is a trend that our defense has been going down for the last 3 seasons.
Mark Wheeler
Staff
cyclogator said:

Maybe it accounts for the portal players Mullen has landed.

I see Mullen and Chump as similar in production though going about it in opposite ways. Chump had some very good championship level defenses, yet, those offenses were horrendous. Mullen seems to be doing the exact opposite, yet, because Florida fans are so focused on offense he gets a bigger pass. We had a championship level offense last season...yet, 8-4, worst defense in our history. And even though it is a bit of an anomaly about how bad that defense was last season it still is a trend that our defense has been going down for the last 3 seasons.
That wouldn't account for Muschamp's average being so low. There is no way he signed those four classes, including two top three classes, and had such a poor average. Someone had to manipulate the numbers to explain a narrative for that to have happened.
cyclogator
yeah, I was wrong. I was focused in on the Mullen numbers while you was talking the Chump numbers.
Ssweat
At what point do all the ppl complaining abt Mullen shift the blame to our administration? Can Mullen recruit better? Yes and he needs to look in the mirror to fix that but the fact is we are number 12 in the nation in recruiting dollars spent on football. UGA is 1 and Bama 2. Nebraska spends more money on football than us. Maybe Twitter should start tagging the administration in their tweets instead of Mullen and his staff.
Bd489
This is where people say things like "we spend so much money on other sports we can't afford to spend more on football". It's the danger of trying to be good at every sport. I can't believe there aren't a few donors that would contribute to the football program having a bigger budget.
cyclogator
"As you look around our facilities, we're not into bells and whistles," said Foley. "We're always looking to upgrade our facilities, but we're not getting into an arms race."

Ssweat
The arrogance of Foley smh..is he still in a position of power?
Mark Wheeler
Staff
While I do think facilities matter to a point, nothing beats building relationships and all out effort.

Georgia's football facility is just as bad as Florida's. They been recruiting top three classes for the past five years and their new $80 million facility doesn't open until the summer.
Flavorgator39
Makes you wonder where there moneys goin?
Bill Sikes
Flavorgator39 said:

Wow, you covered almost all the bad arguments in one post.
I'm just a rando fan...
Lilgator
Flavorgator39 said:

Makes you wonder where there moneys goin?

Women's sports.
Fun & Gun
I don't think you are holding anything against Mullen.

We need to recruit better players if we want to win championships.

Everyone knows that. Mullen even knows that.
Lilgator
Last night felt like the night before the first day of school.

Good luck to all of our coaches today I hope they kill it and we get some great news.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.