I think we need to pump the brakes on the Mullen Hate.

599 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by cyclogator
Gogatorsashaub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Listen I'm a realist but I also know we live in a instant gratification world. But Mullen and his staff looks like the only team that could compete with this Alabama team. They weren't perfect but Florida was extremely close this year. The record may not indicate that but I think we will be much better next year. I keep seeing 8-4 or 9-3 for next year. I think they will surprise a lot of people. If he let go of some of these personal feelings for staff members and hire some good recruiters. I think he will win more than 1 title at Florida
Romeg8r
Finally some sense
Swamp_Thing
Gogatorsashaub said:

Listen I'm a realist but I also know we live in a instant gratification world. But Mullen and his staff looks like the only team that could compete with this Alabama team. They weren't perfect but Florida was extremely close this year. The record may not indicate that but I think we will be much better next year. I keep seeing 8-4 or 9-3 for next year. I think they will surprise a lot of people. If he let go of some of these personal feelings for staff members and hire some good recruiters. I think he will win more than 1 title at Florida

Consistency is an issue, that same staff lost to the worst LSU team in 20 years, in The Swamp. We knocked off a very good LSU team in '18, but still somehow managed to lose to Kentucky.

Personnel management is an issue, Franks would have continued to play over Trask if not for the injury. Delance was continually troted out on the field. Wilson continued to start at CB and wasn't even pulled after the shoe incident. This extends to his staff, especially the recruiting department where there have been issues with multiple staffers.

Recruiting is an issue, lack of talent as some positions and lack of bodies period at others have severally hurt this team at times.

He's a great offensive mind and Xs and Os coach, as well as a great QB coach, but he has some growing to do to be a great HC.
Gogatorsashaub
I think he has some capabilities to grow. All I'm saying is it is not 10 coaches in D1 football that's much better. Look at Ohio state with all of their talent. They were severely outmatched and outplayed. It's so much that went into this season. Let's see if he continues to grow or he takes another step back. All I'm saying is he's my coach And I'm riding with him regardless
Swamp_Thing
Gogatorsashaub said:

I think he has some capabilities to grow. All I'm saying is it is not 10 coaches in D1 football that's much better. Look at Ohio state with all of their talent. They were severely outmatched and outplayed. It's so much that went into this season. Let's see if he continues to grow or he takes another step back. All I'm saying is he's my coach And I'm riding with him regardless

If that would have been Florida fans would have just been stating that they were down three or four starters and then lost another at the beginning of the game.

It's fine to back up your coach, it's also fine to be critical, pointing out weaknesses and what needs to be fixed. I'm not saying there's 10 other coaches that are better than him either.
cyclogator
Awesome. The moral victory mantra.

I don't think anyone hates Coach Mullen. He is a very likeable guy. Ive never met him though and neither has 99.99% of the people who write on gator forums. To say people hate him under that context is hyperbolic and wrong.

Here are some things I believe are facts. If they are not facts, please correct me.

-----
Todd Grantham is still our defensive coordinator even though our defense has consistently and progressively gotten worse since Dan Mullen's foot touched the tarmac at the Gainesville airport. This year's defense is an all time low since 1917.

English and Gray were fired by the administration due to recruiting violations. This was not done by Dan Mullen.

Coach Mullen has a show cause for this year. He cannot get another job in the NCAA without approval from the NCAA. He cannot recruit at all.

Coach Mullen was fined $25K for inciting a fight against Mizzou. He had similar behavior the previous year against Vandy. He explains it as him trying to break up players from fighting but anyone who watched can see that is not what he did.

He had multiple embarrassing post game pressers that were founded on him making crazy excuses about why they lost the game. Complained about too many fans and it being too loud. Said he was trying to break up the fight. He shut the program down after the game against Bama, tells his team they dont know how to win and then called his team a scout team (but they were not scout team) players to nonchalantly act like the cotton bowl is no big deal. The previous season he paraded around the peach bowl trophy like it was the national championship trophy. He gets paid $6mil a year to be the coach for 12 months a year (minus whatever vacation time he gets) yet he didn't do his job for the cotton bowl

Recruiting is miserable and it has been since he got here. There is no difference between his recruiting or the previous two coaches.

Todd Grantham is still our DC. While our offense improved A LOT, our defense digressed more. Special teams are not special.

After all the above, for the second year in a row, Coach Mullen floats NFL interest out there as a ploy to get a raise.
----------

So, hate is a very strong word that doesn't apply. Maybe unhappy with Coach Mullen is a better word.

He is failing. It is easy to see. He is an OC getting paid a HC salary. But here is another fact that you will probably like. Our university will not do a thing about it. They will continue to employ him as long has he keeps winning 9-10 games a year and getting us into crappy bowl games. We have a baseball AD and an elitist president. The only good news is that thus far Coach Mullen has not got that extension he keeps trying to get.
Swamp_Thing
cyclogator said:

I don't think anyone hates Coach Mullen. He is a very likeable guy. Ive never met him though and neither has 99.99% of the people who write on gator forums. To say people hate him under that context is hyperbolic and wrong.

Here are some things I believe are facts. If they are not facts, please correct me.

-----
Todd Grantham is still our defensive coordinator even though our defense has consistently and progressively gotten worse since Dan Mullen's foot touched the tarmac at the Gainesville airport. This year's defense is an all time low since 1917.

English and Gray were fired by the administration due to recruiting violations. This was not done by Dan Mullen.

Coach Mullen has a show cause for this year. He cannot get another job in the NCAA without approval from the NCAA. He cannot recruit at all.

Coach Mullen was fined $25K for inciting a fight against Mizzou. He had similar behavior the previous year against Vandy. He explains it as him trying to break up players from fighting but anyone who watched can see that is not what he did.

He had multiple embarrassing post game pressers that were founded on him making crazy excuses about why they lost the game. Complained about too many fans and it being too loud. Said he was trying to break up the fight. He shut the program down after the game against Bama, tells his team they dont know how to win and then called his team a scout team (but they were not scout team) players to nonchalantly act like the cotton bowl is no big deal. The previous season he paraded around the peach bowl trophy like it was the national championship trophy. He gets paid $6mil a year to be the coach for 12 months a year (minus whatever vacation time he gets) yet he didn't do his job for the cotton bowl

Recruiting is miserable and it has been since he got here. There is no difference between his recruiting or the previous two coaches.

Todd Grantham is still our DC. While our offense improved A LOT, our defense digressed more. Special teams are not special.

After all the above, for the second year in a row, Coach Mullen floats NFL interest out there as a ploy to get a raise.
----------

So, hate is a very strong word that doesn't apply. Maybe unhappy with Coach Mullen is a better word.

He is failing. It is easy to see. He is an OC getting paid a HC salary. But here is another fact that you will probably like. Our university will not do a thing about it. They will continue to employ him as long has he keeps winning 9-10 games a year and getting us into crappy bowl games. We have a baseball AD and an elitist president. The only good news is that thus far Coach Mullen has not got that extension he keeps trying to get.

English was fired on the basis of a recruiting violation and hopefully other reasons, but I don't think the recruiting violation involved Grey, I could be wrong. In fact I don't think Grey was fired at all, more so it was a mutual parting of ways as he was headed to South Carolina to join Beamer regardless.
cyclogator
Swamp_Thing said:

cyclogator said:

-----

----------

English was fired on the basis of a recruiting violation and hopefully other reasons, but I don't think the recruiting violation involved Grey, I could be wrong. In fact I don't think Grey was fired at all, more so it was a mutual parting of ways as he was headed to South Carolina to join Beamer regardless.

Both Gray and English were fired due to the recruiting violation by the UAA against Mullen's wishes.
Swamp_Thing
cyclogator said:

Swamp_Thing said:

cyclogator said:

-----

----------

Both Gray and English were fired due to the recruiting violation by the UAA against Mullen's wishes.

What proof do you have?
cyclogator
Swamp_Thing said:

cyclogator said:

Swamp_Thing said:

cyclogator said:

-----

----------

What proof do you have?
Plenty of proof out there that Gray and English were fired. That is easy to find. Gray didn't mutually leave. He was fired with English at the same time.

The 'fired against Mullen's wishes' part is also out there but its behind pay walls. It was also talked about on radio in Jacksonville by Hayes and Frangie. So I admit, there isn't proof that is exactly how it went down. I understand I did throw that in the facts above so I do recall that part but I do believe that to be the truth. Believe and fact is different and I understand that, my bad. Im seeing if it was saved on a podcast though and will get back if I find it.

Found it

https://soundcloud.com/1010xl-92-5-fm-jax/frangie-show-1-7-21#t=1:03:51
Swamp_Thing
cyclogator said:

Swamp_Thing said:

cyclogator said:

Swamp_Thing said:

cyclogator said:

-----

----------

What proof do you have?
Plenty of proof out there that Gray and English were fired. That is easy to find. Gray didn't mutually leave. He was fired with English at the same time.

The 'fired against Mullen's wishes' part is also out there but its behind pay walls. It was also talked about on radio in Jacksonville by Hayes and Frangie. So I admit, there isn't proof that is exactly how it went down. I understand I did throw that in the facts above so I do recall that part but I do believe that to be the truth. Believe and fact is different and I understand that, my bad. Im seeing if it was saved on a podcast though and will get back if I find it.

Found it

Well just FYI behind paywalls is also what I stated and that is Grey was leaving regardless to join Beamer at USCe.

I have heard what Fergie said, but he didn't say Grey was involved with the recruiting violation.
cyclogator
Swamp_Thing said:

cyclogator said:

Swamp_Thing said:

cyclogator said:

Swamp_Thing said:

cyclogator said:

-----

----------

What proof do you have?

Found it

Well just FYI behind paywalls is also what I stated and that is Grey was leaving regardless to join Beamer at USCe.

I have heard what Fergie said, but he didn't say Grey was involved with the recruiting violation.
Gray and English were fired against Mullen's wishes by the UAA. Todd Grantham is still our DC. That should be enough anyone needs to know about Mullen yet you keep tripping over whether Gray was fired because of recruiting violations or not. Who cares. Fired just the same. Against Mullen's wishes. By the UAA.
Swamp_Thing
cyclogator said:

Swamp_Thing said:

cyclogator said:

Swamp_Thing said:

cyclogator said:

Swamp_Thing said:

cyclogator said:

-----

----------

What proof do you have?

Found it

Gray and English were fired against Mullen's wishes by the UAA. Todd Grantham is still our DC. That should be enough anyone needs to know about Mullen yet you keep tripping over whether Gray was fired because of recruiting violations or not. Who cares. Fired just the same. Against Mullen's wishes. By the UAA.

According to one person. Others disagree, for example....

He's not the only one.
Bulldog1987
I love all these coaching experts. It is sad to see this every time I come on here.
cyclogator
Gray and English were fired at the same time. Plenty of very reliable news stories out there about it. Whatever. English was fired by the UA against Mullen's wishes. And Grantham is still our DC.

Nobody needs to be a coaching expert to see this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.