Russ Mitchell of College Football News on Dan Mullen

901 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Swamp_Thing
Mark Wheeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
I'll tell you right now, there has been an absolute sea change this season when it comes to Dan Mullen.

Russ Mitchell of College Football News was just on 850 and said not only has his opinion of Mullen taken a nose dive this season, but he has spoken to five or six others in the business who feel the same way.

This is all new this season. I never heard a bad word about Mullen, at least not to this degree until this year.

In these people aren't talking about his coaching or recruiting ability, they're talking about his behavior, what he saying, his antics.

I don't know if I've ever seen someone go from so hot to so cold so quickly.
Bd489
Do you think the pressure got to Mullen? Recruiting losses bothering him? Defense being awful?
ChicagoGator
Cry me a river. Sure, he sounded salty after a couple losses but people need to stop acting like he killed a kid (Brian Kelly). I guarantee you a lot of coaches agreed with him about having a 100% stadium capacity, just no one else had the balls to say it.
Gogatorsashaub
Exactly! I have zero issues with the comments. We have gotten so soft. Surely he didn't want anyone hurt
Swamp_Thing
My issues have more to do with the lack of preparedness of our team, the defensive woes, his comments about being in the playoffs with two losses and then essentially saying the bowl game didn't matter. Combine that with Mark's interview of the player and yeah his stock has fallen.
"Most teams that are up there fighting for championships, they better be in the top five in the nation in recruiting" - Steve Spurrier, 2018
"We have to change the recruiting process somehow and make sure that us Gators are up there in the top five in recruiting, and that’s really how you go about that, having really super teams every year." - Steve Spurrier, 2019
Romeg8r
Being blown out of proportion
Swamp_Thing
Romeg8r said:

What is exactly?
Romeg8r
Swamp_Thing said:

Romeg8r said:

What is exactly?

The perception of Mullen. Win games next year and nobody cares.
Swamp_Thing
Romeg8r said:

Swamp_Thing said:

Romeg8r said:

What is exactly?

Going to need to do more than that, he's already won games.
RegGator
Romeg8r said:

Swamp_Thing said:

Romeg8r said:

What is exactly?

If we can get back to 10 or 11 wins and win the east again next year everyone will forget about what happened this year.

Nothing he said after losing a game will matter to anyone.

Winning cures all.
Swamp_Thing
RegGator said:

Romeg8r said:

Swamp_Thing said:

Romeg8r said:

What is exactly?

If we can get back to 10 or 11 wins and win the east again next year everyone will forget about what happened this year.

Nothing he said after losing a game will matter to anyone.

Winning cures all.

Not if he continues to lose games be shouldn't. That routine will get old real quick.
JayM
I only care what "reporters" and "football people" think of Mullen if it affects the way our players, recruits and their families think of Mullen.

At one point this year, while there was criticism of Mullen in the press there seemed to be great support for him amongst recruits and their parents.

Did that change after the horrible post Cotton Bowl presser? We did lose McCall after that...

I was ok with everything else but that post Cotton Bowl press conference was bad. Why say that at all much less in such a public forum and in such a cavalier fashion.

I'm still a huge fan of Mullen. I hope he stays here for 10 years and we need to treat him well along the way. I know that is hard for the loud lunatic fringe of Gator Nation!
Swamp_Thing
JayM said:

I only care what "reporters" and "football people" think of Mullen if it affects the way our players, recruits and their families think of Mullen.

At one point this year, while there was criticism of Mullen in the press there seemed to be great support for him amongst recruits and their parents.

Did that change after the horrible post Cotton Bowl presser? We did lose McCall after that...

I was ok with everything else but that post Cotton Bowl press conference was bad. Why say that at all much less in such a public forum and in such a cavalier fashion.

I'm still a huge fan of Mullen. I hope he stays here for 10 years and we need to treat him well along the way. I know that is hard for the loud lunatic fringe of Gator Nation!

There was also Mullen's locker room speech at the bowl game. And then there is The reported tension between him and the administration at Florida. McCall left because Grey left.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.