This is an interesting read

593 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bd489
Mark Wheeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
How do you justify playing football at schools where every other sport has now been canceled?

Hard to not look at it as a money grab.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/14/battle-of-football-island
Bd489
When sports started at the collegiate level I'm sure it was about sport and pride. In 2020, football is simply a money grab. It will be in 2021 and on down the road. There's nothing wrong with that, let's just be honest as to what football has turned in to for universities. Hell, smaller schools get paid to play big time schools so they can pound them. And why? For the money.
Romeg8r
Actually the others sports weren't cancelled. Their championships were cancelled by the whining, sniveling, impotent NCAA.
Flavorgator39
No football at most universities equates to no sports period for most schools. I'm guessing the revenue from football provides most if not all profit in the athletic department at 90% of fbs schools. It definitely looks selfish on paper but I think there's to much riding on the future of the sports in general to perceive it solely a money grab.
Romeg8r
Bd489 said:

When sports started at the collegiate level I'm sure it was about sport and pride. In 2020, football is simply a money grab. It will be in 2021 and on down the road. There's nothing wrong with that, let's just be honest as to what football has turned in to for universities. Hell, smaller schools get paid to play big time schools so they can pound them. And why? For the money.

Yes, it's a little disingenuous to wallow in the revelry of (or even make your living off) a sport you have known for years was designed around the revenue and then suddenly decry that sport for being about revenue.
ChicagoGator
It's not exactly apples to apples to compare it to other sports, because football is not an NCAA championship, while every other sport is. Also, I hate the notion how wanting to make money is all of a sudden this horrible thing. Not only does it make money for the university to help support literally every other program (besides basketball), but it also supports the local economy.
Mark Wheeler
Staff
Romeg8r said:

Bd489 said:

Yes, it's a little disingenuous to wallow in the revelry of (or even make your living off) a sport you have known for years was designed around the revenue and then suddenly decry that sport for being about revenue.

What I mostly took away from this is it's hard to call football players student athletes when its not safe enough to have student athletes play, but it is okay for football to go forward.
ChicagoGator
Mark Wheeler said:

Romeg8r said:

Bd489 said:

What I mostly took away from this is it's hard to call football players student athletes when its not safe enough to have student athletes play, but it is okay for football to go forward.

The NCAA didn't cancel the championships for other sports because it wasn't safe. They canceled it because if less than 50% of schools participate, they can't have a championship. And let's face it, most conferences aren't playing because they don't have the money to support them, not because of the virus.
Bd489
Agreed. Football is now only about the money for the university. Nothing wrong with admitting it. It does a lot of good for the other students. Just not the same good for the football players.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.