PAC12 players threaten to opt out

603 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Bd489
Mark Wheeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29578950/pac-12-player-group-threatens-opt-makes-list-demands-injustice-safety
Swamp_Thing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jesus
"Most teams that are up there fighting for championships, they better be in the top five in the nation in recruiting" - Steve Spurrier, 2018
"We have to change the recruiting process somehow and make sure that us Gators are up there in the top five in recruiting, and that’s really how you go about that, having really super teams every year." - Steve Spurrier, 2019
G8rJD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They still play football out there?
Swamp_Thing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
G8rJD said:

They still play football out there?


Yeah, and apparently well enough that Oregon and USC both still recruit better than we do...
Bd489
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That hurt.
Swamp_Thing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bd489 said:

That hurt.


My bad.
Flavorgator39
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They recruit so well that they won't have a season. They can keep there west coast kids and there crappy conference. I'll take the southern kids who aren't so pampered they can't see the truth.
Mark Wheeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/pac-12-players-covid-19-statement-football-season
Vinny B
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Say no to all of it.
Bd489
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Some items are fair, but some aren't. Interesting they attacked coaches salaries. Those guys aren't working 40 hours per week. They are working all day every day recruiting, coaching, game planning, etc. I don't think any coach deserves 10 million per year, but they should be rewarded for their lack of free time and lack of family time if they are the best at what they do.
Romeg8r
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bd489 said:

Some items are fair, but some aren't. Interesting they attacked coaches salaries. Those guys aren't working 40 hours per week. They are working all day every day recruiting, coaching, game planning, etc. I don't think any coach deserves 10 million per year, but they should be rewarded for their lack of free time and lack of family time if they are the best at what they do.


Funny how NONE of those players feel it's wrong for them to get $10 million a year in the NFL. Often more than the coach makes.
Romeg8r
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Don't PAC 12 players opt out every year? I never see them in the playoff.
Bd489
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Everyone is getting paid in the nfl. Star rookies in the nfl are now holding out and being resigned after year 3 of 5 year deals. Market determines worth in the nfl. Not in college though the market is 100's of millions of revenue.
Swamp_Thing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Romeg8r said:

Don't PAC 12 players opt out every year? I never see them in the playoff.

Guess you missed the 2016 playoffs?
Swamp_Thing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The college's should just opt out of their scholarships. Plenty of kids that want to play football. We'll see how long they opt out when they have to go back home to mommy and daddy.
Mark Wheeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Six of the 10 PAC12 public universitie's athletics departments lost money as it is and the players are demanding 50% of the revenues.

Good luck with that.

Bd489
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would think there is a HUGE difference in what they lost on athletics and what they made in football. I know I'm in the minority here, but the football players are putting their bodies and brains on the line for other sports to flourish?
Vinny B
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Always cracks me up when they want x% of revenues. They are completely ignorant of the costs involved in running these athletic departments. Here's a good one: Tax the scholarship as income and see how quickly they shut up.
EricN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The problem is that football and basketball make all the money and support all the other sports.
Not having an NCAA basketball tournament crushes most of those schools
Mark Wheeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Bd489 said:

I would think there is a HUGE difference in what they lost on athletics and what they made in football. I know I'm in the minority here, but the football players are putting their bodies and brains on the line for other sports to flourish?
I have absolutely no issue with anyone opting out because of Corvid-19. They have every right to look out for their own health and safety.

Period.

What they don't have is the right, or really the pull, to dictate how athletic departments spend the money. If they don't like the current situation, voice an opinion, but that is all it is is an opinion. If they don't like it, go do something else. No one is forced to go play college football.
Bd489
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is true. Not to be political but there is a bit of a socialism argument to be made. Those that do all the work want to be fairly compensated. The university wants all the money so they can distribute to others.
Why does college football which makes billions of dollars have to remain the way it is? Why does a disproportionate system have to remain? And there is always the "be careful what you wish for argument". If players are being paid there won't be 4 year guarantees any longer for a scholarship. You perform or you can be cut. College athletics could always be more cutthroat if the players are being paid.
Alternate option is make a semi pro league for the elite prospects that want to make money before the nfl. Give them a chance to earn money and let those that choose to play college football where you can keep the same system. There are plenty of options out there, it just seems like everyone is saying "take it or leave it" as things are right now.
G8rJD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Option: take your scholarship or it's value weekly while you play plus stipend/NIL/health insurance...but the catch is they won't get a degree...wonder which they would take? The 5* kids that "know" they're going to the nfl would most likely take the money but the kids that really want a degree would get it...sound fair?
Mark Wheeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Bd489 said:

This is true. Not to be political but there is a bit of a socialism argument to be made. Those that do all the work want to be fairly compensated. The university wants all the money so they can distribute to others.
Why does college football which makes billions of dollars have to remain the way it is? Why does a disproportionate system have to remain? And there is always the "be careful what you wish for argument". If players are being paid there won't be 4 year guarantees any longer for a scholarship. You perform or you can be cut. College athletics could always be more cutthroat if the players are being paid.
Alternate option is make a semi pro league for the elite prospects that want to make money before the nfl. Give them a chance to earn money and let those that choose to play college football where you can keep the same system. There are plenty of options out there, it just seems like everyone is saying "take it or leave it" as things are right now.


Title IX...
Bd489
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shouldn't be on the football team to make sure the other sports exist, that's on the university.
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.