Tuesday's Take: No championships won this year should be considered legitimate

557 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by Dan the Man
Mark Wheeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
As a fan of the Atlanta Braves, Miami Heat, and Jacksonville Jaguars, it doesn't matter to me if one or all three win titles this year, I wouldn't celebrate them like I would in any other year and they will have an asterisk attached to them at best, they probably shouldn't appear in the record books at all at worst.

There is too much outside the realm of sports impacting the seasons and games that while they are fun to keep up with, no record, statistic or championship should actually count.

We are living in a time when five games into the season and the Florida Marlins are already without half their players. The Washington Nationals are holding team meetings to vote on whether or not to actually play a series. That is on top of a drastically shortened season to begin with.

Before the start of training camp, 1/10th of the New England Patriots players have already opted out of the season.

I have an even less level of faith in college sports being able to name a true champion when 100 players per team have lives outside of the game, and it is all but impossible to get people that age to take distancing seriously.

As has been discussed on this forum, what happens when one team is without their entire starting offensive line or a team is down its top two or three quarterbacks? Will the games still be played? Would you actually count a game like that in the standings if it were to take place?

Let me ask you this, if Florida were to beat Georgia this season when they are without several players due to this pandemic, are you really celebrating that win like you would any other season? If the opposite occurs and UF loses to say LSU because the Gators are without several major contributors due to Corvid-19, do you take the loss to heart as much as you would any other year?

I know it's just me, but regardless of what happens in the world of sports this year, I am taking the results with a grain of salt.

-----
If you wish to join the conversation, sign up for a FREE membership and post your reply.

Romeg8r
Then they shouldn't be playing at all. Why take all these risks if winning means nothing?
gatorbreath
Agree. It's just not possible to play football without a high risk of spreading Covid. Teams will have key players sitting out and the games will become meaningless. Players will not be trained or conditioned properly and the risk of injuries will be higher. If a player or coach contracts Covid and spreads it to an individual not associated with the program(inevitable?) the lawyers will pounce. IMO the result of starting back to soon will only further delay the return to competitive football.
Mark Wheeler
Staff
Romeg8r said:

Then they shouldn't be playing at all. Why take all these risks if winning means nothing?

I think anytime they compete, winning means something - I'm just not certain it is going to mean as much this year to the population in general. Of course, any team who wins a championship is going to celebrate it. However, realistically, does it mean as much this year when I have pointed out the examples above.

Do you really take heart in beating a team who may be down 1/4 of its roster?

Does winning the World Series mean as much after an abbreviated season that is featuring less then half the games of a normal season and with the very real possibility of teams being shorthanded for games if not series if not weeks?
Mark Wheeler
Staff
gatorbreath said:

Agree. It's just not possible to play football without a high risk of spreading Covid. Teams will have key players sitting out and the games will become meaningless. Players will not be trained or conditioned properly and the risk of injuries will be higher. If a player or coach contracts Covid and spreads it to an individual not associated with the program(inevitable?) the lawyers will pounce. IMO the result of starting back to soon will only further delay the return to competitive football.
I visited a couple of high schools last Wednesday and of course, kids couldn't wear masks during conditioning (it was in the 90s) and then when they went to the locker room, the head coach and assistants were yelling at the players to have a mask on and they were required to keep their shoes on, but many, after walking by the coaches, did away with their masks.

It is nearly impossible to social distance at that age when playing a team sport such as football.

In my opinion, and I'm certainly no expert, but it seems like the only way to really limit exposure is to go to the NBA bubble model, and high school and college football certainly can't do that.

Can this really start-up in 10 days for camp?

Would an October starting time frame be more likely?

I have no idea.

ChicagoGator
I've heard people say this and can't disagree more. They absolutely are legitimate. If players decide not to play, that's their prerogative. It isn't like they are playing flag football; it's still the same game, just under different surrounding conditions.

Not only do I disagree with the notion, but it also isn't fair to the players who put in all the blood and sweat. How pissed would you be if you went through all the workouts, put your body on the line in games, took all precautions laid out by the NCAA as it pertains to covid and represented your school, just to be told "oh yeah, all that work you just did - it isn't legitimate"?
Dan the Man
The NBA should be the model. They've had some players opt out but the top teams now are the same teams that were good before the virus.

Baseball has been a mess with series canceled.

I'm waiting to see how the NFL handles it.
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.